Thursday, July 24, 2014 – 8:00 a.m. PDT Fire Status Update
News & Highlights for the Logging Unit Fires
10,350+ acres, and 30 percent contained.
• The Logging Unit Fires received significant precipitation over a large portion of the fire area.
The wet conditions are allowing firefighters to make a direct attack and excellent progress with line construction and mop up.
• The Level 1 Notification for Sid Walter Flats was lifted yesterday; road and area closures remain in effect for Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs lands (see below).
• Seven interagency hotshot crews, twenty-seven 20-person hand crews, 57 engines, 26 dozers and 19 water tenders are currently assigned.
• Four National Guard helicopters (2 Blackhawks and 2 Chinooks), a heavy and a medium helicopter are available for air support to the Logging Unit Fires. A temporary flight restriction is in place over Bear Butte.
• The Mt Hood National Forest has lifted the closure that was in place for the Olallie Scenic area and Forest Road 42. A portion of the Pacific Crest Trail remains closed with a reroute for hikers.
• Due to the precipitation, cooler temperatures and higher humidities, fire behavior has been significantly reduced, however as weather warms and fuels dry out over the next couple of days, expect fire behavior to increase.